Monday, June 25, 2012

Holding hands at midnight

Frank's crooning to me right now. Love it. Ever since I've started this blog I've had a jumble of thoughts in my head that I feel are worthy of sharing with you. It's likely that none of them are.

For the past two years I've been waiting for my life to start. Well, scratch that. I thought life would start after college (I know, reoccuring theme here). I got to G-Funk and expected things to just fall in place. Eventually I gave up and here I am, two years later and my ducks still aren't in a row. Big surprise.

Now I'm at this point where I expect life to start again. It's always hurry up and wait. Today, and for the past few weeks, I'm waiting to find a house. I'm waiting for things at my new job to just "click." I'm waiting for a feeling of normalcy, routine.

I had this terribly mind-numbing job that paid (sometimes) this bills in college. For as much as the work sucked, the pay was decent, the hours were great and the boss was awesome. I also met a few great people at this place, some of whom I still consider good friends. (I'm sure some day I'll explain my view on co-workers as friends in the workplace, but this was a job, not a career so it's different.)

Last summer I was honored with attending my first wedding as an adult. (Yes, I guess I'm an adult.) It was awesome. A two-day party in beautiful Seeley Lake (I named my dog Seeley, I'm sure you can understand how much I love this place) to celebrate the future of two great people, one of whom I met at said mind-numbing job.

Weddings as an adult are different then when you're a kid. First off, kid-weddings are usually confined to people who you call family. You end up loving the dollar dance (a whole DOLLAR!) and the mambo number five. If that is a dance. Last summer I paid more attention to the fondant on the cake and forgot cash, so I had to run to my car to get some, and ended up missing the dollar dance. What. A. Bummer. (Haha, not really, I'm a terrible dancer.)

Anyway. my ex-co-worker-turned-friend, her husband and their dog moved into a great little one-bedroom in Missoula's northside. The northside isn't somewhere I venture often, but it really has a lot going on. There's a community garden, a tool-shed that offers reduced-priced or maybe even free rentals and a sense of family. When my friend found out that I'm moving to town she offered to tell her landlord about our housing search (dogs are such a pain). Then, days later she told me that she bought a house in Lolo! Exciting for her and her family.

What's even better: the opportunity to move into her house. Boyfriend and I had a few other options but this is perfect. Bike rides away from downtown, the grocery store and work. Campus isn't even too far for the boy who WILL be going to school in the fall.

Today, I learned that we were "accepted" into this house. I mean, who wouldn't want us, we're pretty cute, right? So, check. One less thing to wait for.



Does that mean life finally is starting? Or am I just the fool who misses life as it flies by? Or, I think the better (and hopeful) thought is that I've been living life all along and that lists and hopes aren't what makes memories.

I hope you're not foolish like I am. I hope you realize that life is what's happening when you're not looking.

These aren't my full thoughts on the matter, but I need to go. Friends are imploring my to play gin-rummy with them. Isn't it nice to have people?

Tune in next week, friends. Unless I have time to write more later this week. Just keep checking back. Or if you would like to learn more about life from a kickass person who's living the dream, check out this blog:  http://honest-b.blogspot.com/. She's a pro at this thing and I've learned a lot from her. Plus, she's just pretty cool.

Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment